Resources for Seniors

Personal supports help seniors live as independently as possible. These supports are complimentary to the medical services provided by Home & Community Care programs in B.C.

There are some key websites with information about personal supports:

Visit the Better at Home website to learn more about the services that might be offered in your community, including housekeeping, home maintenance and repairs, and friendly visiting.

Visit the Family Caregivers of British Columbia website for information, education and support for family caregivers.

Visit the BC211 website, or dial 2-1-1, to find community, social or government services in your area.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q. The Better at Home program doesn’t have the services I need in my community. Where else can I go to find someone to help? 

A. There are a number of places that may be able to connect you with the supports and services you need. You can try contacting the following places, if your community has them:

  • a seniors’ centre
  • your municipal government
  • your local library

Q. Does the B.C. government cover the costs of mobility aids?

Yes, the B.C. government does cover costs in some cases. To see if you are eligible, visit:

The Red Cross of BC loans a range of mobility aids. To find out how to get a mobility aid through this program, visit:

Q. I am hard of hearing, and I have questions about services available to me in BC. Where should I go?

A. The Western Institute for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing offers a range of services from hearing clinics to answering questions about hearing aids. Visit for more information. For services on Vancouver island, visit the Island Deaf and Hard of Hearing Centre:

Q. I am a senior who feels I am being abused, who can I call?

A. If you are in immediate danger, call 9-1-1.  

For other circumstances, the Seniors Abuse and Information Line (SAIL) is a toll free telephone line which is staffed 7 days a week (excluding holidays), 8 a.m. – 8 p.m.

SAIL is a safe place for older adults, and those who care about them, to talk to someone about situations where they feel they are being abused or mistreated, or to receive information about elder abuse prevention.

604-437-1940 or toll free 1-866-437-1940

TTY Teletype: 604-428-3359 or toll free 1-855-306-1443