Resources for Seniors

There are three main provincial websites detailing programs and services for seniors’ health care.

View the B.C. Health website to learn more about:

  • Financial assistance for Medical Services Plan coverage
  • Financial assistance with the cost of prescription drugs and medical supplies through Fair PharmaCare
  • Accessing health care services including assisted living, residential care and home & community care

View the Seniors’ Health website to learn more about:

  • Specific health concerns such as cataracts, dementia and heart disease
  • Advanced care planning
  • Emergency preparedness

View the Planning for Healthy Aging website to learn more about:

  • Healthy lifestyle choices
  • Protection from elder abuse and neglect
  • Lifelong learning and community participation

Frequently Asked Questions

Q. I want to find information about residential care facilities in my community. What’s a good resource?

A. The Office of the Seniors Advocate’s British Columbia Residential Care Facilities: Quick Facts Directory lists information for 292 publicly subsidized facilities in British Columbia. The Directory contains a range of information including care hours, food services, contact information, languages spoken, number of private rooms, number of licensing incidents, complaints, as well as levels of therapies provided and additional care quality indicators. View the Directory here

Q. Can I get help paying for my prescriptions?

A. To help with prescription costs, you should first enrol in B.C.’s Fair PharmaCare Plan. This program provides income-based coverage to individuals and families, based on income tax data from two years ago. If your income decreases, you can apply for an income review directly with Fair PharmaCare.

If your prescription is not covered by Fair PharmaCare, ask your doctor about getting a Special Authority for it to be included in your coverage.

Q. How do I replace a lost CareCard? 

A. The B.C. government is in the process of replacing CareCards with BC Service Cards. If you have lost your CareCard, visit an ICBC Drivers’ Licensing Office with two pieces of required ID to obtain a photo BC Services Card. If you are age 75 or older, you also have the option of contacting Health Insurance BC to request a non-photo BC Services Card.

If your card has been stolen, please report the theft to Health Insurance BC.

Q. Where can I phone for medical advice?

A. Call 8-1-1 to speak to a health services representative who can can help you find health information and services or connect you directly with a health professional:

  • Registered nurses (available 24 hours a day, every day)
  • Registered dietitians (available 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., Mondays to Friday)
  • Pharmacists (available 5 p.m. to 9 a.m. every night)

8-1-1 is not an emergency service. In the event of an emergency, call 9-1-1.