Monitoring Seniors Services
The Monitoring Seniors Services report focuses on key services in the province that fall under the Advocate’s legislated mandate. It highlights where seniors’ needs are being met and where improvements are most needed. Access to health care, appropriate housing, adequate transportation, enough income to meet basic needs such as food, shelter and medicines and protection from abuse and neglect are key to the health and well-being of seniors.
This report, first published in 2015, is updated each year reflecting the latest information available. Monitoring Seniors Services 2020 is the 6th edition and focuses on 2019/20 data.
Current report highlights:
- The seniors population is generally healthy; 19% of seniors aged 65-84 are living with high complexity chronic conditions, and only 3% are diagnosed with dementia.
- The number of home support clients increased 4%; where both the number of long-term and short-term clients increased, the number of Choice in Supports for Independent Living (CSIL) clients decreased.
- There was a 27% increase in the waitlist for long-term care in 2019/20.
- The Property Tax Deferment program increased 10% in 2019/20.
- On March 31, 2020 there were 24,974 SAFER recipients, 3% more than the previous year while the target population aged 60 or older grew by just over 3%.
- In 2019, 79% (745,200) of seniors in B.C. maintained an active driver’s licence. This was a 4% increase over the previous year, which is consistent with the senior population growth.
- The current maximum Canada Pension Plan benefit is $1,175.83 per month, almost 2% more than last year.
- The Seniors Abuse and Information Line (SAIL) received 5,558 calls in 2019, an increase of 27% since 2018; 28% were related to abuse, 46% to non-abuse matters and 26% were for general information. Calls related to abuse increased 17% in 2019.
|Monitoring Seniors Services 2020||Report||News Release||Presentation|
|Monitoring Seniors Services 2019||Report||News Release||Presentation|
|Monitoring Seniors Services 2018||Report||News Release||N/A|
|Monitoring Seniors Services 2017||Report||News Release||N/A|
|Monitoring Seniors Services 2016||Report||News Release||Presentation|
|Monitoring Seniors Services 2015||Report||News Release||Presentation|